On Dec. 8, 2015, SNOWstorm collaborator (and longtime snowy owl researcher) Tom McDonald of Rochester, NY, caught this adult female on Point Peninsula at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, just a few miles from the New York-Canadian border. Flanders was the first owl of the season and also the first to carry one of Cellular Tracking Technologies’ new 3G transmitters, which (along with a number of other improvements) was significantly more energy efficient than the older models. She spent the winter of 2015-16 on Amherst Island in Lake Ontario, a famous location for snowy owls.
Flanders’ transmitter was funded by contributions from the public. Please donate to this project to make it a success!
- Back to Amherst Posted on: January 19, 2018
- The Pull of the Pole Posted on: March 24, 2016
- Spring is in the Air Posted on: March 12, 2016
- Buckeye's Back! Posted on: March 7, 2016
- Owls, West to East and in Between Posted on: March 1, 2016